Alpha Lipoic Acid, abbreviated as ALA, is a coenzyme that provides important metabolic functions, such as aiding in the breakdown of macronutrients (protein, carbohydrates and fats) for energy production  , while also offering superior antioxidative benefits.
ALA is often referred to as a “Universal Antioxidant” due to its ability to neutralize free radicals in both lipid and aqueous environments, as well as its wide versatility in targeting those oxidants, making it ubiquitously beneficial in all body systems.  Going a step beyond some other antioxidants, ALA can regenerate many essential antioxidants such as glutathione, vitamins C and E, and coenzyme Q10  while helping to repair cells damaged by oxidation  . ALA also protect organs and other tissues from toxic metal accumulation, such as from mercury, lead or cadmium, by forming insoluble bonds with those metals and ensuring their secretion from the body. 
In addition to aiding in energy production and providing cellular protection, ALA is instrumental in glucose metabolism, simultaneously lowering blood glucose levels and increasing insulin sensitivity,    making it a highly beneficial supplement for diabetics. ALA has also been found to alleviate diabetic neuropathy,  a degenerative nerve condition involving pain and numbness in the extremities. In fact, one randomized, double-blind study in Germany showed over 80% of participants who received 600mg ALA daily reported significantly fewer adverse neuropathy symptoms than the placebo group. 
Health Thru Nutrition’s Alpha Lipoic Acid provides 600mg pure ALA in one vegecapsule to help you reach your goals. It is Non-GMO, hypoallergenic and, like all of HTN’s quality products, is manufactured in a cGMP facility in the United States.
(1) Palaniappan AR1, Dai A. Mitochondrial ageing and the beneficial role of alpha-lipoic acid. Neurochem Res. 2007 Sep;32(9):1552-8. Epub 2007 May 3.
(2) Biewanga G, et al. The pharmacology of the antioxidant lipoic acid. Gen Pharmac 1997;29(3):315-31.
(3) Packer L, et al. Alpha-lipoic acid as a biological antioxidant.Free Rad Biol Med 1995;19(2):227-50.
(4) Spector A, et al.Thioredoxin fragment 31-36 is reduced by dihydrolipoamide and reduces oxidized protein. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1988;150:156-62.
(5) Sumathi R, et al. Relationship between glutathione and DL alpha-lipoic acid against cadmium-induced hepatotoxicity.Jpn J Med Sci Biol 1996;49(2):39-48.
(6) Ziegler D, Gries FA. Alpha-lipoic acid in the treatment of diabetic peripheral and cardiac autonomic neuropathy. Diabetes. Sep 1997;46 Suppl 2:S62-66
(7) Yang Y, Li W, Liu Y, Li Y, Gao L, Zhao JJ. Alpha-lipoic acid attenuates insulin resistance and improves glucose metabolism in high fat diet-fed mice. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2014;35(10):1285-92.
(8) Jacob S, Streeper R, Fogt D, et al. The Antioxidant α-Lipoic Acid Enhances Insulin-Stimulated Glucose Metabolism in Insulin-Resistant Rat Skeletal Muscle
Diabetes Aug 1996, 45 (8) 1024-1029.
(9) Vallianou N, Evangelopoulos A, Koutalas P. Alpha-lipoic Acid and diabetic neuropathy. Rev Diabet Stud. 2010;6(4):230-6.
(10) Ziegler D, et al. Treatment of symptomatic diabetic peripheral neuropathy with the antioxidant alpha-lipoic acid: a 3-week multicenter randomized controlled trial (ALADIN study). Diabetologia 1995;38:1425-33.
Serving size: 1 VegeCap
% Daily Value
Alpha Lipoic Acid
*Daily Value not established.Other Ingredients:
Hypromellose and l-leucine.Free of:
Milk, egg, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, wheat, peanuts, soybeans and corn. NON-GMO, Gluten Free, Soy Free, Vegan.Directions:
As a dietary supplement, Adults: take one (1) VegeCap daily or as directed by your healthcare professional.KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN.
If you are pregnant or nursing a baby, seek the advice of a health professional before using this product.Storage Instructions:
Keep bottle tightly closed. Store in a cool, dry place at controlled room temperature 15°C-30°C (59°F-86°F).